Verlinden Carabinier General Bust

I've been working fairly consistently on the Verlinden Carabinier General bust that I posted about in my last wntry. There's actually a number of reasons I haven't yet posted a progress update for a few reasons, and none of them have to do with me not painting - quite the opposite!
  1. Although (near as I can tell) the masking off of the painted areas in preparation for airbrushing went excellently - as in, the Tamiya thin yellow masking tape was neatly applied and any remaining gaps covered over with tiny amounts of UHU Tac - I decided not to airbrush the metallics and just tore all the masking stuff off. The reason being that I figgered any "texture" which accidentally showed up as a result of brush painting the helmet would make any weathering all the more believable/easier.
  2. Getting the colors "right" took a while. I started painting the non-steel-colored areas of the helmet a nice copper color, which sounded good based on a respectable color guide I found online - the problem is that I didn't read the guide quite carefully enough, and his helmet was "supposed" to be a "yellow copper" (i.e., brass?) instead of a thorough red-based copper with verdigris and all. I also had to come up with a copper paint recipe, since I conveniently don't have any copper paint and I was too cheap to go buy some. Turns out I found a great color mixture for copper in combining GW Dwarf Bronze and OOP GW Shining Gold... the upside to all this color tomfoolery is that his breastplate is supposed to be plated in copper as a Carabinier officer, and I figgered out the right color glazes to turn copper into more of a brass/bronze (yellow ink, sepia, GW Swooping Hawk Turquoise, GW Devlan Mud, and a bunch of other stuff I played by ear highlight-wise).
  3. I didn't want to post pictures until both sides were done. After I converted the whole helmet over to a more brassy color, I went and grunged up half of it as a test. It now looks like what I'm told is bronze, but in comparing it to samples online I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say it's rilly rilly rilly dirty brass. Whatever. When I went back to get the right side of his helmet to match the left, I didn't have the color quite right - I think I've fixed that now. Oh, and I wanted to add trompe l'oeil denting and scratch effects to his helmet, which at this scale were a little more involved than what I'm used to in painting 25mm and 28mm figs.
*deep breath*
Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! The remaining (obvious) metal details of the helmet will be done as steel, but I'm going slowly so as to keep pace with the rest of the MHMC guys. I was about 2-3 months behind, caught up in the space of a week of frantic painting, and now I think I'm slightly ahead. I think I'm done with the face and eyes, though...


Recent Painting Stuff

 Firstly, I'd like to thank Brandt of Toadkiller Miniatures for support and encouragement recently. We met through the Michigan Historical Miniatures Club at Michigan Toy Soldier Co., and while it took me quite a while to catch up to the rest of the Club, spending some time hanging out and painting with Brandt has been very motivational.

 Secondly, I'd like to thank Dave Youngquist of Michigan Toy Soldier Co. He has been unfailingly professional, patient, and knowledgeable in answering my questions, offering critique and suggestions regarding my recent work, and just in general being a helluva painter and overall resource in terms of historical miniatures and display painting - he also organizes the MHMC.

 Third, I'd like to offer up some of my own painting! The figure that the aforementioned Club is painting is a 200mm Verlinden figure - a Napoleonic Carabinier General bust. What's nice is that it's a good mix of materials and detail; a reasonably realistic-looking face, both smooth and decorative metal areas, and several different types of fabrics. I've not worked on anything at this scale before, so my plan is to paint it up as accurately as possible and just have fun with it.

What I've done so far (out of potentially something sorta resembling the "official" paintjob and assembly here):

 It was sort of an off-the-cuff suggestion that I paint him to resemble a "zombie," but that struck my fancy as a great idea, and so that's what I'm going to run with. I don't really want to convert up my first larger-scale bust to a great extent so I'm not planning on doing any major resculpting or anything to make him more "dead"-looking. I'd also like to keep him within the bounds of what an actual French Carabinier of the Napoleonic period would've worn in terms of the color scheme, but I'm going to try and push the paintjob, the overall coloration, and the weathering effects in the direction of an "undead" theme.


Related Posts with Thumbnails