1/19/2015

Ice Golem - Final Pictures!

 The snow effect used on the base was achieved with Secret Weapon Miniatures crushed glass, presumably designed just for snow and ice effects - it's the Crushed Glass Bundle, which comes with "Realistic Water" resin to apply the loose crushed glass and seal it in place. I can actually sculpt it and layer it the same way I use my other basing materials. Great stuff!

I motivated myself toward getting final pictures of the finished Ice Golem:


 One thing I really liked when laying down the snow effect was that it was translucent - a first layer I mixed with white paint to represent solid snow; the second layer I left as-is for fresher snow. The best thing about it, I think, is the seepage of the Realistic Water around the edges, which makes it look like meltwater esp. on the edges on the base and the low mound on the paving. I used a less "wet" mixture for the outward-exploding snow (mostly cemented clumps of the previous white paint mixture), and just gave it a light coat of paint-free mixture to even things out.

 He's by no means showcase quality - I could've spent lots of hours on the ice crystal effect, say, and straight painted him entirely instead of using washes, but I was aiming ideally for speed. The most involved part was the highlighting and general tidying up. I really like how the eyes show up on the side-view pictures, since I used light flesh tone instead of white.

Comments and criticisms appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Not 'Showcase Quality' you say...?
    Good lord, my man: How high -are- your standards..?
    That is simply magnificent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd imagine my standards are pretty high compared to some - probably the reason I've given up on finishing an army any time soon and have moved on to a skirmish game like Malifaux where the rules are straightforward and the painting is "7 figure crew painted and ready-to-play."

      This is why I mostly lean toward competition or display-quality figures, because once I get started I sink in a lot of time and my output is generally "high end" - case in point, the first squad of Games Workshop 40K Tau I painted and took to their Golden Demon Competition in 2007 ended up receiving Honorable Mention and being posted to the GW US website at the time.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_tau_squad3.jpg
      http://www.coolminiornot.com/118376

      So, um, yeah. Fewer figures to play is a good thing for me.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers: