12/14/2009

Forge World Renegade Psyker WIP [Update 12/13/2009]

 I've had a few hours here and there over the past few days to work a bit more on the Renegade Psyker - I have a somewhat "firm" deadline of sorts, since it's a figure that I'd like to enter into an informal painting competition (we're up to Mk. VII already!) currently running over at the Relicnews Painting & Modeling Forum and the final deadline for finished submissions is on the 20th.

Forge World Renegade Psyker WIP #18

 I'm feeling like I'm more or less done with the skin tones, barring maybe a highlight touch-up here or there - definitely open to suggestion, though, as it's been a while since I last painted any flesh tones. I basically sat down and played with a bunch of different colors worked in, trying to accentuate things towards the face and arms with warmer colors and have details "recede" somewhat further down the chest and stomach with cooler colors worked in. All the little details inset into his flesh still need to be painted, as does his exposed skull - the "exploding concrete and dust" figure base is simply a basecoat and a wash or two of color at this point and needs some highlighting, if nothing else.

 It all seems halfways decent to me, but then again, I was just happy to be painting. I'd definitely appreciate any comments or suggestions from other painters, since I don't really have anyone (other than a few people at the GW shop) who are physically available to "honestly and critically" review my work - it's always been that way, though. (My wife's not a big fan of the hobby, especially any figures that are inclined towards the "Nurgle" end of the scale...)

2 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good so far, I always fins skin tones a little challenging as I don't get to paint em alot.

    I like the mini too, it is a very interesting take on the rogue psycher. I am thinking I might throw one in with our next forgeworld order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually bought the set/was most impressed by the other figure in the package, who is in more of a "demonstration of power" pose than this one was. This guy struck me as being in more of a "ow, I've got a headache" posture, which I thought was kinda pointless in terms of fielding him in a game or painting him up for display.

    It wasn't until I had an inspiration basing-wise, after receiving review/pre-release copies of some of the Urban Ruins set from Secret Weapon Miniatures - I'd revise it so it looked like he was actually using a psychic power of some sort.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers: